BioBlitz Reflection

I found that the BioBlitz did not meet my expectations. I walked into BioBlitz expecting to study mammals, but it ended up getting filled even though we arrived early. In order for me to be with my friends, we had to join the plants group. I still kept an optimistic outlook even though I was looking forward to studying mammals.

Upon getting there we began to go into the woods, and look at various plants. Our outdoor half of BioBlitz mainly composed of us writing down information of plants as our group leader pointed them out. It was not interactive, and it became very dull after a few of minutes. The people heading it did teach us a few facts about plants, but in the end I felt that I would not end up being able to use it on a daily basis. Our group leader made us log in so many plants that I felt that I ended up focusing more on writing than learning about plants. This part of BioBlitz ended up going on longer than expected, and we ended up having to skip looking at the plants under a microscope.

Because we didn’t have time to do that, we just stood outside for an extra half hour waiting for the bus to pick us up. I felt that plants was definitely a bad fit for me, and upon hearing all other groups activities I grew jealous of the fun I missed out on. Overall, I felt that BioBlitz could have been much better if I wasn’t in the plants section.