Jasmine Boone

Jasmine Boone

My name is Jasmine Boone. I am a sophomore in the Macaulay Honors College at CUNY the City College of New York. MY major is economics with a minor in math and a focus in finance. Originally, upon entering my college career, I was a Chemical Engineering major. I quickly discovered that, just because I was good in science and could comprehend, and retain the information in my science classes, I did not enjoy science. After this realization, my carefully planned out life plan to become a chemical engineer fell apart and I was thrusted into a state of confusion and for the first time in my life I had no plan for the future. I could not picture my future. I had no ten-year plan. I did not even have a next semester plan. Deciding that I did not want to pursue a career in a science field was one of the scariest realizations I had experienced at the time. The image of who I was had suddenly become warped. Thankfully, my love of math and interpreting information lead me to my current major. I credit my ability to pass a test in almost all science classes is my abnormal appreciation for given formulas and knowledge based on trends.

In summary, my relationship with science is one of mutual respect. I respect science as an important and necessary field. Science respects me by letting me walk away with no pressure to return. Science is a great field and it the world needs as many passionate and capable students as possible, but I do not fall under this category. I appreciate the work done by scientist and their efforts to comprehend the world around us and improve the quality of life for everyone. However, I found my love and passion in numbers, not in science.