Courtney Sinodinos- Blog #2

When first I received the email entitled “Night at the Museum trip”, my imagination was flooded with images of dimly lit exhibits, flashlights casting shadows of dinosaur skeletons across the galleries, and with the sounds of excited hushed whispers echoing off marble walls. Upon reading the email and watching the video of past students, these preconceived assumptions were crushed ruthlessly. After accepting the fact that this trip would be nothing like the blockbuster hit, I had few expectations. I have never been a fan of painted works of art, especially those that are abstract or those that depict topics I know nothing about. While I can admire the talent and skill of the artists, I have always found it boring being forced to hypothesize what the artist was thinking or what he/ she was trying to convey. I feel that is a violation of the artist’s feelings and could potentially be seen as rude or degrading if my prediction is far from the artist’s intentions. I do not mind looking at art, however I was dreading having to discuss it. Upon arriving at the Brooklyn Museum of Art, my feelings did not change. I did not enjoy speaking about the paintings and felt my voice recordings were void of true insight. Only the artist of a painting can have honest acumen on the work. Although I did not love the assignment, I greatly enjoyed spending time with my peers, getting to know them, and hearing their observations. Overall, I am glad to have participated in the experience and thank the Macualay staff for orchestrating another great adventure.