Luck

During our first seminar class, we briefly mentioned the idea of luck. Lisa pointed out that some famous artists are not nearly as talented as some artists who never become rich and famous. Many are talented, but few are lucky. Vincent did his presentation on Stan Lee. Stan Lee’s story taught me one very important lesson: you have to start somewhere. Stan Lee was a pencil eraser. As Vincent explained, comics used to be drawn in pencil by one artist and then gone over and detailed in pen by another. Stan Lee was the boy in charge of erasing the left over pencil marks. Today, Stan Lee is known as the creator of practically every well-known superhero. He did not reach this level of success overnight. It took a lot of hard work and dedication…and luck. This idea of luck can be further exemplified by Jean-Michel Basquiat’s story. Chigozee (I am very sorry if I misspelled your name) himself referred multiple times to Basquiat as lucky. And he is right. Basquiat was in the right place at the right time over and over again. And, no offense to Basquiat, but there are many artists much more talented than him. In my opinion, Chigozee’s rendition of a Basquiat painting was al most as good as Basquiat’s originals. So, why Basquiat? Why was this man famous instead of so many others? Was it his destiny? Was it his hard work? Some would say one or both, while others would just say it was luck.thomas-jefferson-luck-wallpapers_18165_1024x768