Basquait Presentation

Each one of last Friday’s presentations was incredibly interesting and informative. From the writings of Dorothy Parker, to the unconventional art of Basquait, numerous influential artists have shaped New York City’s culture. Every slide, video, poster and timeline shown to the class was utilized well and assisted in informing our fellow classmates of these artists. Everyone did a commendable job.
I particularly enjoyed learning about Basquait. It was inspiring to hear a story of a young boy rising above poverty on the shoulders of his genuine talent, skill and bravery. As a young boy, Basquait would go to art museums and study the interior, becoming an art history expert by the young age of six. At first, I was amused to hear about a young prodigy, racing about the city, hungry for knowledge. But Basquait’s story took a less amusing turn when he became a young adult. He lived on the streets, tagging subway cars and buildings with the name “SAMO.” I found Basquait had a sense of humor, in that “SAMO” stood for “same old shit.” He was tired of the stale art scene. After three years of struggle, he finally gained fame.
He developed a relationship with Andy Warhol, another artist who understood the changing role of art in the 1980’s. Sadly, the partnership did not well when critics began to call Basquait Warhol’s “lapdog.” He was not receiving the credit he deserved as an individual artist, and therefore cut ties with Warhol. Unfortunately, as a result of tough critics, Basquait turned to drugs. I was disappointed to hear of another great artist falling victim to addiction. I still do not understand why they turn to drugs as a way of coping with artistic difficulties. I wish Basquait would have found support elsewhere and risen above the addiction to continue producing influential art and set an example for struggling artists to follow. He died at the young age of 27. Much potential and imagination died with him. Basquait is credited with bringing the African-American experience to the elite art world by breaking convention. This presentation was done extremely well and I am glad to have learned Basquait’s story.
basquiat_sig_335