Guggenheim

On Thursday, October 24th I ventured into the city to visit the Guggenheim with hopes of having a better experience than that of my classmates who had told me tales of their struggles. Unfortunately, I did not, my experience was marred by the lack of exhibits open at the museum, everywhere you went there were different parts of the museum closed due to construction. I also was a bit disappointed in the lack of, nonexistent I should really say, work of Robert Mapplethorpe in the museum. I went to the Guggenheim under the impression that there was work in it done by Mapplethorpe which excited me having just finished reading Just Kids, however I was disappointed to find that no such work existed. I also found there to be many problems with the staff, when I asked where some of the open exhibits were I found that the staff was inattentive and really did not care to be at the museum which hindered my experience, they did not point me in the right direction every time and even when they did it seemed as though I was genuinely hurting them for asking them a question while they were at work. I must say though, if any one positive came from my trip, it was definitely my admiration for the outside of the Guggenheim building itself. I love the way building is constructed with the outside having a spiral feature which reminds me of the old Giants Stadium and the new Met Life Stadium. Another positive from my trip was the Picasso work being shown in the museum as I have always been a big admirer of Picasso. As a whole my experience at the Guggenheim was not as enjoyable as I would have liked and definitely not as enjoyable as my trip to the NAWA which I thoroughly enjoyed. I hope my future excursions to museums turn up better results than this one however it was still a fun day, as anytime I get to go to the city it is a fun day.guggenheim