Visit to The Guggenheim

I went to The Guggenheim with Ryan Livote on Saturday October 19th. I had a terrible experience. Not that any of it was Ryan’s fault his thrilling conversation was the only thing that helped me get through the experience. I left on the 11 o clock ferry to Manhattan and I got back to Staten Island at about 3 o clock, it was one of the  most pointless four hour periods in my life. I got tickets for both myself and Ryan free of Charge, and I still felt like I was ripped off going there. For starters the entire spiral where art is on display was closed off for an unspecified reason. I assumed that it was closed due to construction but I am unsure. Since the spiral was intended to be used to get to the exhibits, it’s closure made it difficult to get in and out of the exhibits. Instead of being able to walk up a spiral ramp and stop off at the different floors we had to run in and out of stairwells. There were only a few exhibits open and none of them really thrilled me. There was an exhibit of very surreal modern art, which I didn’t enjoy, another was on industrial planning and architecture, which bored me, and one had a few Picasso’s that I have seen hundreds of times before, I honestly just didn’t enjoy anything there. Perhaps if the Mapplethorpe exhibit had been open I would have enjoyed myself more, but as is I just could not enjoy the trip to the Guggenheim. There was one piece called Impenetrable by Mona Hatoum, that was intriguing, it portrayed a bunch of hanging poles, suspended by fishing lines and it created an interesting visual aesthetic as you changed positions and viewed the different columns and rows. Other than that there was nothing that I liked, it was just a very unpleasant experience.