Stremme: Street Art

3d Street Art07

Rich Stremme’s visit and subsequent talk brought up one of the most important questions that we have been discussing in our Arts and Seminar class “How is art on the street different than one in the museums?” What features give paintings outstanding qualities and cause it to be worth millions of dollars? I think this question can be appropriately answered by a person’s point of view towards art. An individual’s definition of art causes him/her to give value to certain features of art that are most important to that person. Until a few years ago, I had a very “public molded” attitude towards art. I liked art by Di Vinci, Picasso, Monet and all the world famous artists, mainly due to the fact that everyone else liked them. I reasoned with myself that since everyone else thought they were amazing and artistic, I should also like them for being amazing and artistic. OF course I am not devaluing Di Vinci, Picasso, and Monet but I am trying to make an argument that many people, including me, like art that is famous. There are very few people in the world who know the history behind Di Vinci’s work or are educated about the specific painting style that Monet uses. Million dollar values are given to these paintings and they grace the walls of famous museums and exhibits.

But what about street art? Who decides which painting is good enough to be in a museum and which one isn’t? Since these paintings are displayed for the enjoyment of the public, shouldn’t we get to decide which painting hangs up in a museum? This subject area has been the battlefield for many years between art fans and critics. I think it is important for people to realize that street art is and always has been a critical voice that reflects the reality of our times. The museums represent the times of the past, while the streets represent the future. Although it is important to be aware of the past, it is also important to be aware of the current issues that affect our society.