What Do You Do With a BA in English?…

avenueqWhat do you do with a BA in English?… The answer is still unknown after watching Avenue Q; however, it is comforting to know that everything in life is just for now. That is one of the many truths I came to realize by watching this humorous musical’s take on life after college. I was entertained by every element of this production; from the actors, to the puppets, to the racy lyrics, this show brought to light some facts of life that most people are too ashamed to admit. We are all, in fact, a little bit racist. Avenue Q found playful ways of illuminating society’s flaws. In each character, I saw bits of myself and of people in my life. Going into the performance, I was already familiar with many of the songs. I knew I was in for plenty of laughs; however I did not anticipate that this musical would touch me profoundly and cause me to worry about my future. Princeton’s character was one that my fellow classmates and I could see ourselves in: a young, hopeful, studious college graduate with enthusiasm for the future. Unfortunately, he struggled to discover what would give his life worth and direction. We all, at some point or another, ponder our true purpose. The idea of encountering life-altering hardships along the way to finding ourselves is a horrifying one. But in the end, we learned to take life one day at a time and to remember that we are surrounded by people who can help us. I was grateful to be able to talk with the cast after the show as well. They all seemed like focused individuals who had a true passion for what they were doing. For someone aspiring to have a career in musical theater, their advice to keep doing what you love and work hard was invaluable. They were true professionals who took the time to hone their craft. In the end, hard work pays off; as long you stay true to your purpose, you will find satisfaction in life.