Avenue Q

imgres

While I knew very little about Avenue Q prior to watching the show,  I had heard nothing but great things about it. Walking into the theater and seeing the stage for the first time, I knew that what I had heard was true. The experience only got better when I realized we would be sitting in the second isle- and the show had yet to start.

With the start of the first songs “It Sucks to Be Me” and “What do you do with a B.A. in English?” I realized that not only would this show be a comedy, but there would also be a message in it. Throughout the entire show I found myself laughing, but also I found myself drawn into the story. There was so much I could relate to. I was surprised to see so many lessons and morals packed into a show that is, at its core, comedy. The play touched upon racism, sexuality, college education, but most predominantly life goals and purpose.

As the show is a, slightly dark-humored, comedy, I was very curious to see how it would end. I was unsure of if the play would have a happy ending or if it would be more of a tragedy. To me, neither ending seemed quite right. A happy ending didn’t fit fully with the humor aspect, but a tragic ending seemed to go against the story line. The real end of the play incorporated both of these elements. The play had a happy ending with Kate Monster opening her school, Preston and Kate getting back together, and  Nicky finding Rod a boyfriend. At the same time though, Preston failed to find his life purpose. This is when Brian tells him that some people never do, and the cast sings their final song “For Now”. The song says that everything is only temporary, both good and bad. To me, this is one of the most important lessons we can learn and a perfect note to end the play on, both comforting and somber at the same time