Tap dancing: Music of the feet

tumblr_m0mkxaypcb1r75ccj

Tap dancing is the music of the feet. The tip-tap of the tap shoes can create such a momentum that despite a lack of background music the human body starts rhyming and moving along with the beats of the shoes. When I learned that I would be attending a step dance performance with my seminar class on Saturday, I was really intrigued and excited. When I was 12 years old, I had spent an entire summer attending tap dancing lessons at the St. George Theater. The ability to create different beats of rhythm with one’s feet was really fascinating to me. At one point I got so intoxicated by the sounds of my shoes that I started wearing them inside the house, which obviously made my parents very annoyed. Aside from tap-dancing, I am a fan of any kind of dancing. I like the uniformity and fluidity that dancing portrays. The ability to move as one, and portray a story through your bodies is absolutely mesmerizing. However, despite the professionalism and complexity of STePTz, I noticed a lack of conformity. I don’t know if it was the theme of the dance to not look alike, but for some reason I was surprised by a lack of similar clothing. All the dance shows that I had attended in the past had dancers attired in similar outfits. I think similar clothing produces a oneness in the performance as well as reliability between the dancers, since each dancer’s performance is hinged on the presentation of the other dancers’. However, despite my preferences, I think Savion Glover had several reasons behind his decision; such as that lack of a uniform portrays the independence of a person and Glover wanted the audience to focus on each person as an individual not a member of a group.

Aside from this minor criticism I really enjoyed the show. The dancers were absolute professionals and the rhythm and beats that they created with their feet were just phenomenal. I was pleased with the integration of female dancers with male dancers. I was also thoroughly entertained by the “dance battle” between the two lead male dancers. In a way it represented a fight that was fought with the feet.

Picture taken from: http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m0mkxaypcb1r75ccj.jpg