Mohammed’s Radio

images-2You better close your ears because he just said what you think he said. Professor French said that the goal of seeing Mohammed’s Radio was to get us talking. Mohammad’s Radio completed this mission, after a day or two of recovering of course. This show covered a multitude of topics: racism, hatred, women’s rights, profanity, tribal ideologies, and the dark side of human nature. Looking at the picture I chose for this blog, I am thinking about the beauty of being a child. When you’re a kid, everyone is equal, and only innocence and love exist. Ten years ago we were eight! Now suddenly, we’re “adults” and therefore ready to admit to the existence of hatred, profanity, and impure intensions. Somehow, I see admitting these things as accepting them. As crazy as this sounds, this show made part of me want to run away and create my own utopia. Alright, I’m sorry. I promise that my rant on the loss of innocence has ended. Overall the show was written well and the actors, despite their lack of props and a stage, offered a very believable performance. Talking to the writer and the cast at the end of the show  provided the type of closure that we discussed in class. It was nice to take a sigh of relief at the end of the show and realize that the actors really didn’t believe what they were saying. The parts of the show that I found most interesting were Kelley’s explanations of why she was claiming ownership of her body. I believe this seminar class is making me more passionately in favor of women’s rights. (It all started when we read John Berger’s observation in Ways of Seeing that men look and women appear. Why do women have to appear? Why can’t we just be ourselves?) I found Kelley’s story relatable and almost heart breaking. We live in a society in which women are expected to flaunt and put on a show to gain acceptance and make men like them. Kelley’s anger at her community, which was an exaggerated form of the society we live in today, made me really angry too. There a lot of places for  improvement in our society, and (as Lisa always says) its up to us to fix it. All of us need to be like children. If the world was run by children, it would be a wonderful place full of honesty, laughter, and most of all, love.