Mohammed’s Radio

When I first read this play, I was taken back by the subject matter and the grotesque use of profanity within the work. But, as I kept reading, I started to see a point to the madness. This was a story about a girl who wanted to prove a point in society. She wanted to show that it should not matter what you are to others, and what you are should only benefit you. You are the person who has to live with it and you should be happy. You should not care about what other people say, and it should not matter to you. “Mohammed’s Radio” had me on the edge of my seat the entire time. I was hooked from the first words and the story had so much to give. The story was real in the sense that events like these, though not extreme, still exist today in the society that we live in. Racism exists in the world and racial stereotyping and profiling still exists in society. People, in New York, still show disgust towards people who are Muslims and are of Arab heritage. This is because of the 9/11 attacks. But, there was a line that Allie spoke in the play that kind of went like this (Paraphrased): “Don’t let the mistakes of a few people of one culture affect your opinions about the entire culture.” In essence, the 9/11 attacks should not be blamed on the entire Muslim culture because they do not all feel the same way. All in all, I felt that this play had a powerful message and I thought that it was well-written. I hope that this play will make it out to the public eye and people will all learn from the powerful message that it is trying to deliver.

Radio