Tosca

When I heard all of the mainly negative reviews about Tosca from the other seminar classes who went to the Met before us, I had low standards for this operatic rendition of the play… But, after reading La Tosca I was actually very intrigued about how this play would be translated into an opera that was 3 hours long. I’m very happy that our class read the play beforehand because, personally, it made the opera more enjoyable. If I didn’t know the storyline from reading the play then I think I would have focused too much on what was going on rather than the artistry involved in the production of the opera itself. I was amazed at how the actors and actresses were able to project their voices with minimal amplification and also how the set changes were so drastic. Although the set changes were necessary to keep the essence of the storyline in place, I wish that the opera didn’t have to be split up into 3 acts. I’m not a theater critic and I could even tell that some parts of the acts were just to waste time and make the acts long enough. Other than that, I had very few major issues with the opera and I think I enjoyed it more than a lot of other people in ours and other seminar classes did.

Even though I heard how grand the opera house was, I wasn’t prepared for what I was about to see. I had a dress with heels and a peacoat on and I still felt too casual. Every other person I saw was decked out in expensive fur outerwear or designer handbags & shoes. Considering the prices involved with the opera, it makes sense that these royal-looking people would be the ones attending. Despite the fact that the opera itself was enjoyable, I liked the setting more. The opera house was as expensively decorated as I think a millionaire’s house would be. To be honest, I’d like to go back to the Metropolitan Opera House just to have a reason to get dressed up again and feel regal for just a few hours.