Christina and Dorothy

photo_2010_02_09_dorothy_parker

Dorothy Parker was one of the foremost writers of the twentieth century. While I had known her name, I never really knew much about her until Christina’s presentation. I found Christina’s presentation to be both insightful and interesting. One of the details I found to be most interesting was the number of times Dorothy Parker was married, more than once to the same man. The first thing that came to mind when Christina talked about this was another detail Christina mentioned about Dorothy Parker being a feminist. As a feminist it must have been hard for Dorothy to confine herself to the will of a man through matrimony. I wonder if it was Dorothy’s desire for freedom that led to her multiple divorces or if it was something more.

Overall, i thoroughly enjoyed Christina’s presentation. It was evident to me that she had put a great deal of work into it. It was especially impressed with the thought she put into her presentation. To turn the board into a notebook was probably time consuming but I thought it was very clever. The idea to make then pen green in order to demonstrate Dorothy Parker’s abhorrence for stereotypical gender roles was, in my opinion, very clever. I also enjoyed her comparison between Dorothy Parker’s presence at the Algonquin Round Table. The only area I could think where Christina could have expanded on her project was to include some sort of technology aspect, even if it was just a video. In fact, a video or sound byte of Dorothy Parker reading an excerpt of her work would have been a great addition to the project.