NAWA Exhibit

Last Saturday was an eventful day in the city. We got lost, took many trains, and finally arrived at the correct destination. As strange as it sounds, walking around Manhattan was different that day. I was exposed to a whole new city that I had never gotten a chance to see before. Walking downtown, passing Shakespeare in the Park, I realized that I live in a city that offers me endless enriching experiences. Upon arriving to this little hole in the wall exhibit, I came to the conclusion that this was just another one of Manhattan’s many gems.

The exhibit though small, was rich in beauty and meaning. I stumbled upon abstract art, 1940s memorabilia, cartoon cats, and even an eye made from buttons. One drawing that I fell in love with was of a girl sitting among red flowers. She was black and white, and the only color in her was red for her intricately drawn heart.  Another piece of art, which I mentioned above was the eye. The eye was made of buttons. I really started to think about it and asked myself, “Why buttons?” It was not until after the fact that something dawned on me. The holes in the buttons are called eyelets. My inner nerd came out and was excited about the play on words. I laughed to myself, and wondered if that was pun intended or if I was just being silly. Either way though, that piece made me think.

The trip to the NAWA was certainly an adventure. It was inspirational to see art from all women, at an exhibit run by women. It touched my heart to see that these women do what they love and get the recognition that they truly deserve. This trip further instilled the notion that anyone could accomplish anything that he or she puts his or her mind to. This exhibit encouraged me to go and see more exhibits that maybe are not as well known. It is those little places that hold true treasures and stories that no other can match.

Published by

alainap99

Current sophomore at the Macaulay Honors College at the College of Staten Island English Literature Major Science Interests: Genetics