Queens Museum of Art

When I went to the Queens Museum of Art, I expected to see oil paintings, sculptures and abstract images. However, this museum was nothing like that. This museum embraced art in all forms, it had video presentation, stain glass lights, coasters, cutlery and chinaware.It was the least expected things that were in that museum. Something that made me more puzzled was a room filled with plastic bottles. I remember glancing towards my brother and seeing the same confused look on his face. When we approached a museum curator, she explained o us that the plastic bottles were way of tracing a path. The artist had travelled to China to at different times in her life to race the ‘wandering lake.’ Every time she visited the lake its path had been altered, just as a human life. The meaning gave the work a new meaning.

As we moved as we upstairs, I saw handcrafts, models and shirts that raised of awareness of about the struggles of American Indian tribes and Hispanic communities. It something new for me because I had never seen a people’s movement recorded in a museum.

Then I moved on to a section that was about the New York world fair. There were uniforms, magazines, coins, plates and mugs behind a glass shelf. The area lead to a panorama hall of Never Built New York. The panorama was a hall with the New York city model map on the floor with lights on some buildings. As I moved down the panorama and into the all on the side I realized that all the building in the light were building who were never built in New York. I look at each and every never built structure and marveled their beauty. It made me appreciate New York city.