Alicia Keys ~ Keeping it Simple

One presentation that really stood out to me was on Alicia Keys. I listen to her music a lot, but never really knew her story until now. I absolutely love that she keeps everything simple, and is not over the top like other female artists today. I think that says a lot about her character, and that she doesn’t need bright lights and revealing clothing to be a strong female artist. Not only is Keys a natural beauty, but I love her message of female empowerment. When Jackie brought up how Alicia Keys sang, “These Girls are on Fire” at the Women’s March, it made me really happy inside. When I got home, I looked up the clip and it warmed my heart. I think women need a female artist who is genuine and natural more than ever these days. Someone who is very “what you see is what you get”.  That is precisely who Alicia Keys is, a genuine artist and catalyst of female empowerment. All in all I absolutely loved Jackie’s presentation! Job well done!!!

Published by

alainap99

Current sophomore at the Macaulay Honors College at the College of Staten Island English Literature Major Science Interests: Genetics

One thought on “Alicia Keys ~ Keeping it Simple”

1. I also really enjoyed the Alicia Keys presentation and what the artists stands for. I don’t appreciate a singer for their extravagant concerts or displays. I appreciate their lyrics and the message/idea they represent. I remember I used to wear eyeliner and other excessive makeup, but one day I realized that I don’t necessarily need to wear makeup. My eyes don’t need to have a black strip across my eyes so that I can feel beautiful or normal in society. I don’t have to straighten my hair everyday so that I can please society. This is the message that Alicia Keys is proud to promote and it’s really powerful. Even though I do not listen to Keys, it does not mean I cannot appreciate a great feminist like Alicia Keys.