Avenue Q

I found Avenue Q to be quite entertaining and nothing like I expected. From the opening number of “We Live on Avenue Q” to the final scene there wasn’t a moment of boredom. It was attention grabbing, witty, comical, and extremely R rated if I must say. I found the concept of using puppets to tell the storyline an interesting choice. The portrayal of certain characters such Nicky and Rod reminded me of the characters of Bert and Ernie from Sesame Street. In fact, I feel that there was a connection to Sesame Street in that there was much speculation if whether or not Bert and Ernie or one of the characters were gay as well. Trekkie Monster also seemed similar to Oscar the Grouch.

I also was impressed that each performer was able play multiple roles especially within the same scene. The interchanging of voices and puppet movements didn’t seem to cause any issues when interchanging roles. I found the songs to be catchy and the choreography to be well-rehearsed. I do feel this play is not for kids despite the use of puppets. The songs “The Internet is for Porn,” “Everyone’s A Little Bit Racist,” and “My Girlfriend, Who Lives in Canada,” contained inappropriate lyrics not child friendly. The use of foul language within the play and puppet sex with very graphic sexual acts are other indicators that the play not for younger children.

Overall I enjoyed the play and was entertained the entire performance. However, despite my enjoyment of the play and the overall concept of the play’s intent for the audience I do feel the use of politics should have been left out of the play. Including the lyrics “Donald Trump is just for now” as well as selling merchandise with the same saying rubbed me the wrong way. People go to a play to enjoy themselves and not think about subjects like politics. I feel the use of politics should be left out of the play even though it was for a laugh from the audience.

Published by

tristianaadragna

Psychology major on a Pre-Physical Therapy track. Currently on the CSI Women's Cross Country (MVP), Women's Indoor & Outdoor Track, and Women's Tennis teams (Captain).