Moonstruck by La Bohème

The night at the opera was absolutely one of the most amazing times I have ever experienced. As I was sitting there in those red velvet seats, all dressed up, I felt like a million bucks. I was sitting in Lincoln Center watching an opera, and not just any opera, La Bohème! I may have seen calm, cool, and collected, but on the inside I was completely over the moon with happiness. The orchestra gave me goosebumps and the singing brought tears to my eyes. Walking down the carpeted stairs of Lincoln Center, I found myself reflecting on what I had just watched. It was, as Cher said in Moonstruck, “awful, beautiful, and sad.”

The love story between Mimi and Rodolpho was beautiful and heart wrenching all at once. I was sitting on the edge of my seat the entire opera, just because I was so enamored with the music and the story itself. Being a fan of opera and beautiful orchestrations themselves, I was extremely happy that I was able to experience a real opera for the first time.  The venue was beautiful. The dimly lit crystal chandeliers gave an ambiance of complete romance. The fountain was absolutely stunning.

Once I got home, I could not stop talking about my time at the opera. I even told my boyfriend that we should go to one, because he needs to experience it. I wish I could go back and relive that night. La Bohème is probably my favorite Macaulay experience so far.

Published by

alainap99

Current sophomore at the Macaulay Honors College at the College of Staten Island English Literature Major Science Interests: Genetics