Born Dry But Determined to Drown

When I learned the class had to travel to the city late at night on Tuesday to hear a play reading I was a bit bummed. This changed once the play reading started. The play was attention grabbing with its storyline and characters. I found the individuals portraying the characters of the play to be deep in character having accents, strong facial expressions, and becoming one with the character. I did not expect the individuals portraying the characters to have to almost read word for word from the script and even with the script in front of them misspeaking or having to start the line over.

I enjoyed many parts of this play reading. First, was the back and forth bickering of Paula and Howe. For example, when Paula kept insisting on Howe to share his stories with Alex’s dead body at the bar. Also, when Paula and Howe first met Whitney and Joshua. Upon learning that Whitney and Joshua were gay lovers Paula was open and accepting to their sexuality, whereas Howe was more resentful calling those of that sexuality “queer.” Other parts of the play reading I enjoyed was when Leonora was singing. I thought her voice was lovely and I liked her rough edges. In certain parts of the play I even thought Leonora and Paula would become lovers based on some of their interactions yet I also thought Howe and Paula would become a couple as well. I thought the conversations with Whitney and Joshua involving death to be sweet and comical. One thing I liked that the author of the play did was the significance of Alex and how he was not only friends of Paula and Howe but a former lover of Joshua when they were both at war.

Overall, I enjoyed the play reading, despite it having to be late on a Tuesday night. The attention grabbing and comical storyline as well as the individuals portraying the characters made the experience enjoyable.

Published by

tristianaadragna

Psychology major on a Pre-Physical Therapy track. Currently on the CSI Women's Cross Country (MVP), Women's Indoor & Outdoor Track, and Women's Tennis teams (Captain).