Tuesday Night Play at Macaulay : Born Dry But Determined to Drown

The journey to the play was chaotic. Chemistry ended at 6:20 and my classmates and I tried to rush to the 7:00 ferry to the city. Unfortunately, we did not make it until for the 7:30 ferry. I was also rushing to the event so that it would end quickly because I had a test the next morning. However, I really liked this event as well. When we finally reached the Macaulay building, the play reading began. The performance was a very novel experience. I have never seen a live performance that was very unconventional with no setting/technical production. There were no costumes or props; it was solely focused on the actors. This type of performance was very fascinating because I was not distracted by anything on the stage; all the focus was on the actors which made it more remarkable. I also learned another remarkable thing about the play in which the actress who played Leonora, had improvised during her song scenes by actually singing out the lyrics rather than just telling them. I find it extremely hard to find a rhythm to sing with the lyrics.

The play itself was funny and appropriate for audience of my age. It was not childish nor too mature or sophisticated, The comedy was understandable and actually humorous. The context of the play was so comfortable because of the language such as the cussing, and the background of the situation such as the gay couple. The accents of the actors was performed excellently and the personas of the actors were executed very well. However, there were certain moments in the performance where I was confused whether the pauses were too long or if the actors forgot their lines. I was so focused on the story that I was waiting for it to keep going. I was also confused by the script fro  beforehand about the gender of Whitney. The acting was very helpful in clarifying it and showing it from the beginning of the play.

Overall, the play was very refreshing like Avenue Q and again reminded me of my discussions of existentialism in the my senior year of high-school English class.