Before Your Very Eyes

Forums Class Discussion Performances Before Your Very Eyes

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #356
    Anthony Viola
    Participant

One of my favorite things about this production was the use of kids and how real it turned out to be. What is fascinating to me about top-of-the-line movie/theatre productions is that they usually rely on a heavily dramatic plot, revolving around adultery, disease, of some other extreme case that evokes emotion. Gob Squad presented reality through the use of kids and instruction from an omnipotent voice. Personally, I believe it made for one of the best theatre productions I have seen in a long time.

#357
    Joseph Shaker
    Participant

I think my favorite aspect of the performance was the contrast between the innocent looking children and the deep and stark reality it hints at

#373
    alexanderlegg
    Participant

I agree, this performance was powerful. The conversations the “younger” versions of the actors had with the “older” versions especially struck me. It made me think of myself as a child, and what would that younger self say to the present day me.

The combination of media in the show was incredible as well. The various cameras and TV screens gave the show many dimensions, angles, and perspectives for those in the audience.

#374
    Arianna Injeian
    Participant

I am also in agreement that this production was truly powerful. The children were so talented in the sense that they were able to really capture these dark truths and bring light to them. Like what one of the members of the Gob Squad was saying during the Q&A, they really tried to bring a lighter touch to things like disappointment and death, and I really think they did a fabulous job of doing so.

I was also very impressed with how real the production felt. I mean, as the kids “grew up” in their performance, they turned into people they didn’t plan on becoming. I feel like I could really relate to that where I feel like there are times I’m not on the path I had expected for myself. I also feel like as children, many have these high expectations for what their life is destined to include, but rarely do things end up so neatly.

#390
    Joseph Shaker
    Participant

I agree on growing up into something we didn’t expect to

#402
    Albert Connolly
    Participant

I did not know what expect going to see this play,but I was pleasantly surprised by it. At first it seemed very strange because of the children in a glass cage and the automated voice speaking to them. However, as the play went on, I began to appreciate it more and it began to make sense to me. I ended up loving the play because of its message. It offered a really interesting perspective on growing older and choosing how to live our lives(whether we do what society expects of us or choose to follow our own paths), and it left a powerful impression on me.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.