Man on Wire

Forums Class Discussion Films and photographs Man on Wire

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    lucialopezfdc

Man on Wire was definitely one of the most interesting documentaries I’ve seen. There was a lot that was surprising about Philippe Petit’s famous walk between the Twin Towers. One of the most surprising parts was that he had this dream at 18,  since before the Twin Towers were even constructed. It’s a crazy dream to have and I admire his dedication to it and how carefully he conceived his plan so it would go successfully. I was also surprised by the fact that it was so carefully planned; he took into account factors such as wind, entry to the building, material and length of the cable, and even rented a helicopter to take aerial photos of the site. To the people watching the event it must’ve looked so random and spontaneous, so to realize how much work really had to go into this project makes it that much more beautiful and amazing.

Olivia Murphy
    Participant

I agree with your reaction to all the work that went into the planning. What I thought was amazing is how simple his reasoning behind it all was. He stated that it was a very “American” thing to look at art – he considered what he did as art- and ask, “but why?” This really impacted me because it is true. We are so used to explaining, simplifying and getting to the bottom of things that we can’t just accept a piece of art for what it is anymore.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.