Positives

Forums Class Discussion Opinions Positives

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    A. Orejuela
    Keymaster
    lioragaronov
    Participant

NEGATIVE OPINIONS ABOUT THIS CLASS CAN NOT EXIST !

lioragaronov
    Participant

I have to admit that this class made me significantly richer in many different ways. Never before I cared about the existence or significance of art, theaters, operas, plays, and many other creatures of people’s imagination. Throughout the course of this semester, I managed not only to learn how to understand the performance, but also found myself enjoying it and being able to appreciate it, knowing that I was able to draw some meaning every time I saw people perform.
    The door to my explorations opened with the unforgettable “Cloud Nine” performance by Atlantic Theatre Company. The performance has skillfully transmitted the message of gender confusion in the world, and showed that gender has really nothing to do with sex, and the way people define and perceive their true identities depends on several factors beyond natural physical appearance. It was a wonderful experience to see how Churchill presented the complexities and confusion within a single circle of people: Ellen wants to go to bed with Betty, but Betty wants to run away with Uncle Harry, while Harry has “unusual connections” with Joshua and little Edward, who keeps playing with dolls. Even Clive, who is trying to maintain a perfect family is flawed, hiding from the shame under Mrs. Saunders’ skirt. Caryl Churchill is definitely a very brave playwright.
    One of the most impressive performances was “Tosca” by Giacomo Puccini. Before seeing this performance, I often saw similar things on TV, where people were just singing some incomprehensible words and making some movements filled with passion and emotion. This time it was different… For the first time I could just sit in one place and feel the pressure and tension from the climax of the whole story, when Cavaradossi was actually killed, and Tosca could not take the pain of separation from beloved, so she just killed herself by jumping off the top of the castle. Everything looked extremely realistic, and I was amazed by how fast they managed to change the whole setting on the stage between the acts.
    The richness of this class was not limited to just seeing performances. One of the most important aspects was the opportunity to discuss and share our reactions with professor and classmates. It was always interesting to see if the meanings we attach to different things, moments, or episodes coincide with those of the peers. Among the numerous skills we have gained or further improved in this class is being able to listen to and respect other people’s opinions. Also, after exploring the North-West Edge, I can surely say that I started living my life more thoughtfully with my head up, instead of being pointed at my feet as I walk around one of the greatest cities in the world – in New York. I started seeing more things around me, which adds a new dimension to life – the one that always existed, but remained unnoticed.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.