Joe Derosa-Tribute in Light

Beams of light are associated with many things and often symbolize a sense of transcendence. Whether it be a spotlight illuminating the night sky in search of something, or, as it appears in movies, a UFO’s tractor beam that pulls helpless people into it, the significance of light is very minute compared to the Tribute in Light. I had embarked on a mission that night and I had told myself that I was not going home until I captured an artistic snapshot honoring the unfortunate victims of terror ten years ago. I took a little short of one hundred pictures and I couldn’t find one that did the tribute any justice. Then I realized that I was looking at the event in the wrong way, literally and metaphorically. The Tribute of Light can be seen from practically anywhere in New York City. This specific photograph was taken in Astoria, Queens at 8:52 p.m. Although it may appear to be a result of laziness that the picture was taken so close to my home, it truly amplifies the idea that New York City stands united and exhibited togetherness to overcome our hardships. The angle that I have taken ties back to the original topic of significance. In this particular photo, the punctum would be the light’s impact on the clouds. This artistic aspect makes it seem like the lights reach through the heavens, which is an enlightening feature. The dual-beams of light soar up above and create an essence of peacefulness and, to an extent, a certain salvation. In my opinion, this photograph is an optimistic scope of remembrance and respect.

This entry was posted in Tribute. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Joe Derosa-Tribute in Light

1. sophia66 says:

This picture gave me chills. The light seems to be touching the heavens.