THE HIGH LINE: WHERE PAST MEETS PRESENT

The High Line is a rejuvenated part of the rich history of New York City. What was once a barren railroad track is now a beautiful repurposed elevated urban park. Even though the Highline has become a park now, its essence and charm stays true to its roots and past. The High Line has become an expression for artists of all kinds. Part of the experience of the High Line is the art that is seemingly ubiquitous throughout it. It has become a place for artists to showcase their chosen mediums. While I was walking on the High Line I was particularly captivated by these objects seemingly floating.

What the eye first travels to in the picture is those odd colorful objects, personally, I was really confused about their meaning as art which is why I decided to take a picture. I finally decided that the objects represent the different types of people who walk on the High Line, they all come in different shapes, sizes and colors. On the left side of the image, you see a new modern building which heavily juxtaposes the old vandalized building in the background. What is interesting is that on the vandalized building there is actually a famous mural titled “the floaters.” I thought that it was somewhat ironic that my picture focusses on the colorful objects rather than the famous artwork right next to it. Also to be noted is the expansive wooden walkway and the beautiful sun kissed greenery along the railing. The greenery was chosen by the designers of the High Line to reproduce the types of flora that used to exist on the old rail lines. You might also notice how the sky and the walkway are angled and sort of frame the other parts of the picture almost geometrically. Also to the right side, you might notice the blurred out people taking pictures of the artistic environment surrounding them. These people seem very small when taking the entire picture into consideration, but I view them as a significant part because they tell us part of the purpose of the High Line is. The High Line is a stage for artists and people go there to experience the art. This is what I imagine a person would perceive this exact place. The other people simply become a given part of the Highline, an extension of its essence as it was meant to be seen and appreciated. The extraneous human stimuli, like conversations between people, people taking pictures, people sitting down, are all drowned out and they simply focus on art that catches their eye whether it’s a natural form or a man-made form. While it can be a place to be alone and just enjoy some privacy it is quite the social area. People come with others to watch performances, enjoy the artwork, or simply because they backdrop for their personal pictures! The High Line is one place where humans are not the focus of the experience, the focus is heavily on nature, the artwork, the buildings-both new and old- and the unique experience the repurposed space gives to every person that sets foot on it.

This entry was posted in Due Sept. 12th @noon, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.