The Garden Among Skyscrapers

The High Line continues to be one of the most iconic features of lower Manhattan, and its importance as a green space continues to be more paramount than ever in a rapidly developing downtown. In a part of a city that aims to be “trendy” or different at every turn, many people overlook the unique aesthetic and nature of the High Line – Chelsea’s answer to Central Park.

The particular experience of such a beautiful location can be captured in this photo looking out of the High Line towards a street that is steadily filling with people. Rule of Thirds is present, which I think help demonstrate how powerful this park is, the bottom layer of flowers and greenery representing the natural aspect of the High Line, juxtaposing it with the busy street and bustle below, symbolic of the city. The photo then melds with a grey sky that plays off the color contrast of the scene below it – a combination of green, brown, and yellow. The toned colors also help represent the “sleepy” nature of the High Line on this particularly rainy day.

In this, the charm and character of the High Line can be captured because the entire area is a place of contrasts. While the throngs of people, buses, and cars below the tracks emit a buzz of noise, the High Line is a place of people who are reading, speaking in hushed tones while on a walk with a friend, or simply staring at the sky. Highlighted by the steel railing, apartment buildings, and construction in the back, there is more emphasis placed on green spaces, trees, and stunning flora.

I noticed that on the street, everybody was in a massive rush to get wherever they were going but once you step foot on this platform, the world seems to get a lot slower. This photo demonstrates the natural beauty that is left behind in a big city and compels people to just stop and take a long look.

This entry was posted in Due Sept. 12th @noon. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to The Garden Among Skyscrapers

1. palchurilakshmi says:

I really like how this picture is framed, as you said I do see how the “Rule of Thirds” is present. In your analysis, you said that the colors of the three parts of the city juxtaposed each other and create an almost sleepy effect. As you said, the hurry and hastiness of New York City seemed to slow down and people were in their own little worlds up there, I also noticed this when I was there. Your picture really caught the essence of the High Line, it was able to show the totally different and peaceful environment found on it.