Two Fantastic Works of Art

The performance we observed last week was magical. The initial piece was smaller in scale in terms of the number of performances and the range of motion that occurred in every moment. It featured women who were dancing in contortion, with a few characters that emphasized the confusion of motion. The mood was deeply more somber and there was heavy emphasis placed on the noises and action produced by the individuals rather than the music that was being played. However, the second performance was more “lively”, featuring bolder musical pieces that complement the massive activity by the large group of numbers. They both shared a sense of repetition, but the crux of the first performance was defined by how the audience perceived the constant recycling of motion. My reaction to the first piece was one of deep confusion, the repetition, confusing dances, and cast of characters was unlike anything I’d ever seen before. As someone who hasn’t had much exposure to interpretive dance, dance performances in general, or theatre, this was perhaps one of the most challenging artistic experiences of my life. I was unsure of the purpose of the piece. The second performance was also challenging but the dance was much easier to follow than the initial dance piece. It was “easier” to enjoy but still, I struggled with capturing the essence or purpose of the dance. Like the beginning, there seemed to be a focus on one or two individuals but the role this focus played in framing these dances would need to be studied in greater detail to be truly appreciated. Thusly, this was an incredibly rewarding experience and despite being perplexed, I thoroughly enjoyed the masterful work that were these dances. Oftentimes, the most rewarding observations of art in motion are in pieces that are not easily understood, rather than pieces that possess shallow depth.

This entry was posted in Due Sept 26th @noon. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Two Fantastic Works of Art

1. ultimate11037 says:

I agree that a piece like Cafe Muller was a bit more challenging than The Rite of Spring because the choreography wasn’t set to music and was meant to be more interpretive and chaotic. I think with pieces like these, it’d be best to not try to analyze movements and why they were put in that order, but to try to feel the emotion the dancers want to convey. Especially with Cafe Muller, the piece didn’t seem to be completely choreographed; it seemed to have a lot of parts that could vary, especially with some of the dancers’ eyes closed.

2. marinov98 says:

I completely agree with you on the “somber” mood of the first one. Other than sheer confusion, I felt like melancholy played a role in the play. I too to see its purpose even after reading the dance’s description. I also agree with the more “lively” performance of the second play. Definitely could feel more rhythm and purpose. I almost felt like I was reading my own piece of writing while reading yours because I had the exact same thoughts about the two plays! I also was not used to being exposed to interpretive dance. I’m glad, though, that we both found this experience rewarding. I think that next time we should just try to enjoy the play rather than spend the whole time analyzing the play.