Mozart Summary

From the onset of Mozart’s letters, we are properly introduced to him as a formal and humble man. The tone and diction he uses in these initial letters characterize him as such. He writes, “I am much at fault, I must confess, for not having at once acknowledged the safe receipt of your letter and the accompanying packet” (227). This impression of him is further illustrated by the repetitive formalities he takes in his letter to Sebastian Winter, Royal Groom of the Chambers, referring to him as “your Highness” while concurrently referring to him as his dear friend.At the same time, the content of his letter to Winter reveals his attempts at acquiring a stable salary in an orchestra, foreshadowing the monetary problems that the letters would soon disclose.

On the other hand, we also are given a peek into Mozart’s personal life, most prominently through letter correspondence with his father with whom he finds great kinship. He expresses great concern when he learns of his father’s ill health. He writes, “But now I hear you are really ill! I am sure I need not tell you how greatly I long for reassuring news from yourself. Indeed I expect it, even though I have accustomed myself to contemplate the worst on all occasions” (233). His relationship with his family is further examined by the letter to his sister in which he addresses the death of their father, offering support to her if she would need it. To his wife in particular, Mozart shows great affection: “I kiss you a million times, most tenderly and am ever thine, true till death” (240). He greatly misses her when he is far away, which is often, as he frequently is working on his pieces and operas. Something that surprises the reader, however, is when Mozart begins writing to her in French, displaying his intellectualism while also posing as a romantic.

In his exchanges with Michael Puchberg, Mozart clearly is requesting money using his wife’s poor health as an excuse. He says, “Dearest friend, if you can help with the present pressing expenses, oh, do so!” (249). We can also see that Mozart is very careful in his selection of words, preferring flattery over pure begging. This kind of speech is reiterated by his excessive use of self-belittlement (other than when he is insulting other performers) and respectful language towards those he desires things from.

Through these letters, we can establish a few things: that Mozart was not only a musical genius, but a pedantic and persuasive gentleman as well. Most significantly, we also come to realize that he is madly in love with his wife and is a very caring brother and father, as demonstrated by his father’s ill health and subsequent death.