The Horse Fair

Rosa Bonheur, The Horse Fair. Source: http://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/435702

I was walking around the Metropolitan , closely observing the details in The Horse Fair when all of a sudden, I got sucked in. Information started flowing into me. It was as if I was in someone else’s body.

It was 1852 and it was the first time I had ever attended a horse fair. At the ripe age of 20, I was quite outgoing and rowdy compared to the other young ladies my age. If my parents ever found out I had snuck out of the house to attend the fair, I would not hear the end of it. Undoubtedly, they would try to marry off to some snobby duke of sorts.Thankfully with the help of Sara, my maid, my parents thought I was taking a stroll and ought not to be disturbed.

Since I was very young, I was fascinated with horses. They were astounding; incredibly powerful creatures with their wild manes and large hooved feet.

It was very windy and some storm clouds were starting to gather but the excitement of the crowd was amazing. Some people sat on the surround grass, some sat near the fences, some stood. It seemed like we were all in anticipation of the horse race, which was due to begin in half an hour. I found the perfect spot under a tree with just enough shade and sat down. As I looked around the course, I noticed a group of men taunting a young girl that was taking care of the horses. She was dirty and the men were sneering and commenting on her smell. As she began to tear up, I stood up to walk over and give a good yelling to the men, only to see another rider, a gentleman wearing a white shirt with a brown vest with dark green pants, saving the girl from her unfortunate situation.

The race was just about to start when the more and more storm clouds seemed to roll in. With the loud bang of the gun, the horses bolted out of their stalls and the race began. Around the second lap, lightning struck and thunder roared. The horses all reared and got frightened. It was full chaos. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw the same gentleman who had saved the girl earlier, manage to get off his horse and calm it down. He grabbed the reins and started calmly walking towards the stalls. I was astonished, and only a few seconds later, I was back, standing  in front of The Horse Fair.