Letter from Paris

My dearest friend Abigail,

Or shall I say mon cher ami?

We were once only able to fantasize about Paris over tea in the parlor of your home. To think I would find myself writing to you from the heart of the city!

I was dreadfully pleased to receive a letter from you so soon. I am so glad your darling brother Charles is such a hardy boy, it is unquestionable that he should recover from his ailment soon. Is your sister Elizabeth as bright-eyed and rosy-cheeked as I last saw her?

Aside from your lovely letter itself, I am forever gratified by your unceasing reassurance. Without you, I would not even dream of pursuing musical composition across the seas. Oh, how happy I would have been if you accompanied me here.

I could not see how one could call Paris dull. All is done with extravagance! I do find awful dressing myself in my best corset, petticoat and overdress everyday as all the women here seem to doll themselves up in what would be our Sunday best. Ah, and excuse my crudity, but Parisians can be quite haughty indeed. I had a conversation with one woman in my living quarters who almost had a fainting spell when I said I enjoyed watching horse racing and billiards!

Enough with my incessant whining. All the same, the buildings are beautiful and the music! I pick up a new melody in the city everyday. Street musicians are on every corner, enveloping the city with the vibrant colors of their music. Even now from my seat in a cafe, I can hear the muffled moaning of a cello accompanied by the cry of a violin.

As of recently, I attended a performance of composer Claude Debussy’s La Mer by the Orchestre Lamoureux, which is a remarkable orchestral concert society that delivers weekly concerts. Oh, how I do adore La Mer. I must say I prefer it over Mister Debussy’s Nocturnes.

If I must express the piece in writing alone, I would call it a masterpiece that evokes the emotions of the sea in three sketches. The power of the two outer movements perfectly borders the light-heartedness and fast pace of the inner piece. It is a colossal claim to make, but I do say the last movement is my favorite. It is urgent and ominous, the oncoming sense of danger of the ocean drawing fear inside me. The orchestra sways and swells in grand masses of sound, and there is a point of serenity before a climactic finale. It showcases the sea in all its enchanting glory. Witnessing the entirety of these great emotions was breathtaking, to put it frankly.

The performance of La Mer certainly has a place in my heart. I was quickly reminded of why I set foot in Paris. I am always aware, whether I would like to be or not, that it is not easy for a common woman like me to succeed in a polished craft like music. Yet, I slave away at my little secondhand piano here because the ability of music to affect people deeply is not one I can ignore. Do not fret, I am more than confident that I can prove myself to be more than a talented woman, but a talented musician.

I will take modest steps in my journey to become a recognized composer. Do not tell a soul, but I am coveting a position in the Orchestre Lamoureux. While it is not composing beautiful pieces of music like I ultimately dream of, I believe it to be a stride in the right direction.

I would love to babble on about myself but will end my letter here as I would like to continue working on my piano by daylight. Please do not shy from imparting any trinkets you would like from Paris. Oh, and please do check on Mother, Father, and my brother William for me! Reassure Father that I am more than well. He is ever so frightened by the thought of a woman roaming the streets of a foreign city alone. Also, let William know that I have indeed purchased an ample amount of candy for him.

I wish you well. Au Revoir.

Your good friend always,

Christine