Letter to Friend From Painter -Ariane Marchese

Dear my very good friend George,

I am currently in Paris now enjoying the views and geniuses around me. How are you feeling? How are the wife and kids back in America?  I do miss you very much and the marvelous memories that we have shared together, but for the sake of my art I know that Paris is where I truly belong at the moment. However, I still remember my promise so no need to worry. I will make sure to continue to send you letters detailing what I have learned about art and will be a teacher of what I have been taught.

Do you remember when we used to go to school and the other children would compliment and praise the drawings on the papers we should have been taking notes on? Afterwards, we aimed to draw as realistic as possible, thinking that our art will only get better if we can mimic what we see onto a canvas. However, I have met other painters here in Paris. They are definitely capable of making realistic looking art, but instead they make surreal paintings with vivid colors and loose strokes. It makes the image look blurry but also very dreamlike. Even so, I can’t help but look deeper into the paintings and feel emotions stirring inside of me. It made me realize that art is not only about the story or scene but also the emotions and the expressions.

After studying perspective for so long, the art I have been observing uses little of these perspective rules. In addition, due to the loose brushstrokes, the painting appears blurry. The figures may not be painted in detail, but the lack of perspective and clarity gives each stroke equal importance. It allows casual viewers to focus on the painting as a whole and not just a “main subject”. In that sense, I believe people would give a greater appreciation for the attention and thought that went into the paintings.

This week, I have started a painting of a scene I truly admired by the café I get my afternoon tea from. As I was exiting, I realized how perfect the sun dripped upon the tables and the people outside. The way the light reflected on hats and emphasized a shadow on each face, the way the tables were arranged and designed so that the curve of their legs felt whimsical, the way the flowers by the window were arranged, the way the small puddle from the morning rain showed tiles and a child’s reflection as the child inspected the tiles lying at the bottom of the puddle, and the feeling of peace and comfort I saw when admiring this scene in front of me. I shall be done with this painting soon. I, however, need to acquire new paints. This scene is the purity of common life. Therefore, only the purest of colors and hues must be used. I do not wish to convey my emotions for this scene in the wrong way. Should I use dirty colors, the viewer might feel pity and sympathy for the image. I do not with for that. I wish for the viewer to feel at ease and find content with witnessing this simple yet joyful moment of everyday life.

I truly am enjoying my time in here in Paris. I have learned and felt so much. It has changed my philosophy on art and how I view the world around me with the brushstrokes I create. Next week, I am truly excited to attend a salon. I’ll be able to converse with such brilliant artists and even observe their artwork. There have been many critiques that have disagreed with painting so “messily” but I enjoy such loose and liberating brushstrokes if I say so myself. Such art reminds me that I am drawing to live. I am drawing with every emotion and memory I have and share with others. As much as I enjoy nature, I do not intend to mimic it. I only wish to show how I feel about it through this new technique of art.

I wish I could write more to you my dear friend but I am afraid that it is getting late and I am quite ready to turn in for the night. I plan to send this letter to you early in the morning. I shall hope that it reaches your hands as soon as it possibly can so you may receive these brilliant ideas on art. I hope you family is well and that your business shall every prosper.

Sincerely your good friend,

Aria Marquis