My second semester at Baruch my appendix ruptured and I was in the hospital for over two weeks. The reason being that I had mistaken appendicitis pain for period cramps and never went to the hospital during the duration of the cramps. Besides the minor cramps, I had no other symptoms so I would have never thought that I had appendicitis. If I had a portable device at home which could count my white blood cells I would have known that a high count meant that my body was trying to fight appendicitis and would have gone to the hospital sooner. This is also a useful device for people who have chemotherapy and run the risk of a low white blood cell count. In addition, it is useful for the general public since white blood cells can determine if your body is fighting off an infection even if you may not have symptoms or if you don’t have enough and are at higher risk for an infection. This device would help people be more proactive regarding their health because they would be able to know when something is wrong.