IDC courses have generally been nerve-racking for me. There are always a lot of requirements to meet and works to complete, including the brochure in Seminar 1, booklet in Seminar 2, and presentations and posters in Seminar 3. However, I will always end up appreciating those classes for broadening my horizon and enriching my knowledge at the end.

Starting from the first day of this class, I had a strong feeling that it would be very stressful, and it did prove me right when we had our hot topic presentation in the first few weeks of the semester. However, without doing it, I would never have any knowledge of medical science or healthcare innovations. I would not gain insights into how insulin pills can be used to treat diabetes, nor how genes are edited to treat DMD, a topic presented by my classmates. As a result, it was truly an incredible experience in which I had the chance to open my eyes and direct my attention to see how science magically progresses nowadays.

If anything significant and meaningful, that will definitely be the two lab experiments that we have done. I had been quite indifferent about performing a lab experiment because I felt scientific terms are so difficult, and the experiment itself might be risky as well. However, until I personally did the lab in this class, I somehow started to understand the passion and excitement that people like Dr. Greer has for science. It was so amazing to see the colors changing, to see the reactions happening, and to have the chance to synthesize aspirin and soap by ourselves. I really love how my soap smells, and I feel so proud of myself when using it at home.

This class really shows the possibility and variety of science, from health science to natural science. Because of the healthcare innovation project, I learned about TinkerCad, MakerHub, and even realize that 3D innovations can be printed. On the other hand, I was also surprised to see how the posters were printed in such a huge size.

At the end, I really enjoy the small experiments that Dr. Greer did at the beginning of some classes, enjoy the nervousness that presentations cause me to have because I now fear less and less about doing presentations, and enjoy the comments that Jake and Dr. Greer provided to us because of them, I was able to focus on the small details in order to improve for the better. Thank you, Dr. Greer and Jake, for all the help!