When I first walked into this course, I did not know what to expect. I was not sure what I was going to learn and how deep we were going to delve into the science and technology aspects. After taking this course, I ultimately realized that there is so much to learn about the world of science and technology, how they are connected, and what future opportunities are waiting in these fields. Through all of the major and minor assignments and projects, including scientific presentations, hot topics, hands-on labs, BioBlitz, and 3-D printing through MakerHub, I learned so much more than I anticipated when first thinking about this course. Such are the reasons why I genuinely enjoyed this course and the amazing professors that took the time to really help us grow and mold our scientific thinking.

Putting the two major projects (the BioBlitz and 3-D printing model for healthcare innovations with MakerHub) aside, the smaller assignments were just as significant to the course. Working on the hot topic presentations, I gained an understanding of how much research, time, and effort went into putting everything into one final project. From this assignment, I realized that it is extremely important to know the sources you use when finding information, how to read and dissect primary scientific sources (articles and journals), as well as popular secondary sources. Working on the labs actually reminded me of the times I worked in my physics lab in high school and conducted many interesting experiments. But with these labs that I worked on, I got to experiment with real chemicals and products that are used by scientists, chemists, and physicists all the time. I definitely understood the importance of safety, structure, and organization when working not only in a lab, but in any other setting that requires these aspects. These assignments and projects were meaningful and impactful because it taught me different lessons that apply to a wider array of situations, other than a scientific setting.

But what I really took away from this course was everything I learned through the two big projects. Walking through Inwood Hill Park during the BioBlitz was an interesting experience (especially because I was carrying a full laptop bag and a suit in another large bag with me the whole time; I had an interview just before in case you were wondering), primarily due to the fact that there were so many different factors of a park that I never really delved into, including the specific features of plants, insects, birds, and marine life and how the surrounding environment connected to all of those. As for the 3-D printing model, I always knew that 3-D printers existed, but never got to actually see one or use one. This course gave me those opportunities and I was able to formulate a healthcare innovation with my group and have it printed out. Hopefully, our innovation becomes a reality one day and we can thank Dr. Greer and Jake for the motivation to do this project and turn it into something real that regular individuals can use to change their lives.

I couldn’t have been happier with the overall experience that I had in this course and cannot wait to take all the things I learned and utilize them in every future course and life endeavor possible.