Police Writing Assignment

I myself haven’t exactly had any meaningful experience with the police, and neither have my family members. My family actually avoids interacting with the police whenever possible, and this is possible since Asians aren’t particularly targeted by the police. In fact, even though I have had some acquaintances from school who have been stopped by police officers, they have always remained in the background in places such as subway stations or at Times Square. In fact, the majority of times when I’ve actually spoken to a police officer would be when I was hopelessly lost and asking for directions. They were actually fairly polite to me, though that may have been because I looked harmless. I’ve never been stopped by a police officer before. I just occasionally saw other people being stopped during the years when “Stop and Frisk” was actually heavily put into action. Mostly the people I saw who were subjected to “Stop and Frisk” were of Latino and African descent. I understand that the policy was very heavily reliant on stereotypes and racism, and Asians were considered a “privileged minority” which was why I was never stopped by police officers. This sort of system alienates communities of certain races, which builds distrust, and a system based on distrust is bound to encounter major problems.