Homelessness Experience

Homelessness is a fact of all big cities. New York City is one of the largest cities in the world, and hosts a very visible homeless population. However, despite my over nineteen years as a resident of the city, I have had very few personal encounters with the homeless beyond the occasional donation of change or food. What I do see of the homeless on a day to day basis has had the largest impact on my opinions of them. What I normally see fits into three general categories. The first and most common is comprised of the people who walk through the subway carts telling the story of how they fell on hard times and would appreciate any help. I do not mind this category much, and it is usually the one that I try to help out. The next category is one that does irritate me, if just because of the way they make my environment feel dirty. These are the homeless who usually give the entire group a bad rep. They may be unkempt, intoxicated, or performing unseemly acts. Lastly is the category of homeless who are more seen than heard. They may sit on the side of the street, like a fixture that does not intrude on the tranquility of its surroundings. What I have seen from these three groups of homeless has helped me create an attitude towards them that, while still negative, has been tempered to be more understanding towards them as a whole. This has especially been done through the homeless who tell their stories, allowing me to gain perspective and be more tolerant towards those I may pass by and see.