More Controversy in College Athletics

So as many of you know, I am a college athlete so this topic is very relevant to me, and I find it extremely interesting. Being a Brooklyn College athlete, we don’t face many of these dishonest practices where coaches, students, and administrators place athletics over academics. The closest we come is being allowed to leave a class early for a game/match, but even then, it’s not always the whole class period that we miss.

However, I am aware of, and am angered by, the continuous dishonesty and fraudulent practices connected to college athletics. Obviously for big Division 1 sports schools, it makes sense that athletes, especially top recruits, pay attention to their sport more than schoolwork, especially if they play the more popular sports. (I said it makes sense; I didn’t say I agree with it.) Often these top recruits are looking to make it into the professional leagues. This is only one of the problems.

Another issue, which was brought up with the readings from last week, was that of whether or not student-athletes should be paid. I, personally, don’t believe athletes should be paid. If anything, they could receive equipment and money for travel (many teams have games that require bus and/or plane). However, the primary purpose of college/university is to get an education, whether or not someone plans to go into a professional sport. I think this because there are no certainties in sports. An all-star player who is expected to be drafted in the first round can suffer a career-ending torn ACL injury. What team would take him/her then? For this reason, I believe that athletes should focus on their education. And I’d like to think this is the reason the NCAA doesn’t want athletes to be paid either. I give them the benefit of the doubt because there are some, such as Joe Nocera in his article “A Way to Start Paying College Athletes,” who believe the NCAA exploits athletes by considering them “amateurs.”

Whatever the reasons, there are rules saying NCAA athletes are not allowed to be paid. But cases keep coming up of athletes accepting payment! Most recently, a newly drafted NFL player Laremy Tunsil admitted to accepting money from his coach at Ole Miss. (article posted at bottom) The funds were apparently given so that his mother could pay utility fees. On the day he was drafted, Tunsil’s Instagram and Twitter accounts were hacked, and a screenshot of the text messages to his coach, John Miller, was posted on Instagram. Tunis was asked about accepting money at a press conference immediately following his being drafted and he responded, “I would have to say yeah.” Earlier on, Tunsil was investigated and suspended for accepting and using “improper benefits.” Namely cars and hotel rooms.

In Laremy Tusil’s case, I can overlook the most recent news concerning his accepting money for his mother’s utilities (if that is the real story; it has yet to be confirmed). But accepting the improper benefits is inexcusable. NCAA athletes of his caliber (he was expected to be drafted first round) and NCAA athletes in general should be aware that they are the public face of their school and should not violate the rules of the NCAA, if not for moral reasons.

One thought on “More Controversy in College Athletics”

1. I completely agree with your sentiment regarding the issues facing the education system regarding NCAA athletes receiving some sort of extra aid and payment. The issue I have is what seems to be the culture of not considering playing for your specific team/school an honor and not a form of payment in itself. Being paid to go to school even if you may not actually go to classes (that is said athletes prerogative) is in my opinion in itself a massive perk alone. Especially if one can consider the fact that many of these Division 1 schools have a high tuition. Examples of these mindsets can easily be dug up through social media and due to you mentioning Tusil, I will keep the discussion within the parameters of football. We saw a couple of years ago Cardale Jones of OSU tweet that school is pointless and that he is in the school not to go to class but to play football.

Source: http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8466428/ohio-state-buckeyes-cardale-jones-tweets-classes-pointless