EveRy University: The Real Perspective of the College Student

I stumbled upon this YouTube video titled, “Honest University Commercial,” and automatically thought to share it with the class. It’s a comic mock commercial for an institution called, “EveRy University,” where the actors [sarcastically] highlight the major problems within higher education. We’ve spoken about many of these issues throughout the semester and as funny as this video seems to be, it’s still bringing attention to a very serious matter. Some of the problems stressed in the commercial are: price of institutions (tuition, dorming, meal plans, books), student debt, the decreasing value of a degree in terms of employment, core curriculum, etc…I highly recommend watching this video not just for laughs, but to also confirm the seriousness of the issues we’ve discussed and stressed throughout this semester. This class was a great ending to our Macaulay seminars and I want to thank you all for making it so enjoyable.

Enjoy your summer guys!

3 thoughts on “EveRy University: The Real Perspective of the College Student”

1. I just watched the video and it is quite comical! You’re right when you say it highlights the serious problems we have been discussing though. I remember seeing this video a few years ago and not really thinking much of it. This time around, I actually thought a lot about the issues.

It also makes me appreciate being a Macaulay student! Things like this remind me that I made the right decision to choose Macaulay over the other ridiculously expensive schools!

2. Yea I agree, this video is a good sum-up of our semester in this class. It was funny as well. I also agree that coming to Macaulay was a great decision because we don’t need to deal with a lot of these issues.

3. Wow! This video managed to be simultaneously funny and really disturbing. Although I did hear somewhere recently that “humor tends to come from a dark place,” so maybe that makes sense. The college in this video is called EveRY college because “everyone must go to college” after all (as they say in the video), “what other choice do we have?” We have discussed the idea that going to college and even the entire structure of college (4 years, 3 credits a class etc.) is a lot about conforming and feeding into societal expectations. It’s not that there’s anything wrong with the college system per say (although I don’t think anyone will argue that it doesn’t have its flaws), but that people need to evaluate themselves and make their own choices (not have society make choices for them) about what is best for THEM.