Final Paper Reflection

I initially thought I was going to have an easy creative process when we were first given the assignment. In the first 10 minutes of staring at the computer I realized I needed to stop thinking about this as an assignment and make it personal. I wanted to create a school that would have given a student like me a safe , productive, and progressive learning environment. Throughout my time in the states I have yet to be taught about my own heritage in an academic setting. I was ignorant of the role I played in the cruel world of capitalist America. I grew up unaware that the societal barriers that are in place to hinder my success  was not by accident or chance; it is wired into the mainframe of our society. It is for this reason I chose to focus on designing a school that focuses on Afrikan culture Pan Afrikan studies would set the foundation for students to learn not only their about their heritage through a higher academic lens but also to have a sense of belonging and brotherhood. Even though this is a fictional project, I have genuine intentions on pursuing this as an academic goal in the future.