Dreams Stall as CUNY, New York’s Engine of Mobility, Sputters – NY Times

When browsing Facebook, I came across something a friend of mine shared: http://www1.cuny.edu/sites/news-chancellor/2016/05/cuny-is-more-important-than-ever/

It is a statement by Chancellor Milliken, discussing the importance of CUNY in response to an updated NY Times article (that I believe we already looked at): http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/29/nyregion/dreams-stall-as-cuny-citys-engine-of-mobility-sputters.html?_r=0.

I went to read the NY Times article and I personally felt that the article was a little out of touch with CUNY’s current situation. It did an amazing job of highlighting all of the negative things that we are facing: poor maintenance of buildings, inadequate materials for classes, etc. This is definitely something we are seeing, but it felt one-sided. It failed to examine all of the positive things that CUNY continues to achieve, despite financial troubles.

I think CUNY will remain the engine of mobility for New Yorkers and that hard times will eventually come to an end. As we know, higher education is being disrupted in many different ways and maybe this financial circumstance we find ourselves in will spark some positive change for the years to come.

The article was a good read and I would love to know your thoughts on it! What do you guys think about this?

2 thoughts on “Dreams Stall as CUNY, New York’s Engine of Mobility, Sputters – NY Times”

1. Hey Chris!
    I totally agree with your argument. CUNY is definitely sparking positive change and will remain the engine of mobility. During my interview with Prof. Martel (from Baruch) he mentioned a Harvard professor friend of his, who came to CUNY (Baruch campus) for a visit. Based on what he said, the CUNY system is like none other public colleges and even exceeded his high standards. It is one of the many reasons why Martel wanted to stay working with CUNY and why he enjoys being a part of the board. The article and even some people on social media are only nit-picking at the mundane negative aspects and ignoring all the great things about CUNY–especially our low and affordable tuition, great financial aid packages and top-notch professors. It is about time that people show more respect for the great value that CUNY is offering and learn the behind-the-scenes of higher education. Only then will they be able to understand why CUNY is truly a hidden gem.

2. You make a great point Chris! With the exorbitant tuition rates that some colleges have, they are just perpetuating inequality and widening the gap between the upper and lower classes. CUNY actually allows for social mobility. Like Lindie’s, my interview with Gail Mellow (President of Laguadia CC), opened my eyes to how special and unique CUNY is. The majority of the students at Laguardia Community College are not able to afford the tuition of other colleges and universities. To them Laguardia Community College is a means for them to secure financial stability and cultivate their strengths. It is a priceless opportunity that completely alters the course of the rest of their lives.