Access Reading Questions 4/17 – Will Lorenzo

1. What would happen if the Supreme Court ruled against affirmative action? How would higher education in America change?

2. Why is it that certain universities place a person’s race above another’s merit? In this regard, can affirmative action be seen as reverse discrimination?

3. Why is affirmative action steeped solely in race, and not in income? Shouldn’t poor white people who couldn’t afford good secondary education also have a chance at getting into a school not based solely on merit?

4. Why do colleges today feel that a student population’s diversity is the most important aspect of their image? Shouldn’t other factors play a larger role than race? Why is race seen as more important than merit by many institutions today?

5. With affirmative action (and other methods) being a way for people to easily get into a school (sans merit), does this effectively diminish the reputation of an undergraduate degree? Can this be seen as one of the reasons for the recent notion that a person needs a graduate degree to succeed in contemporary America?

This entry was posted in Reading Questions, Uncategorized on by .

About Will Lorenzo

My name is Will Lorenzo, and I'm a Pure Mathematics and Film Studies double major with a minor in Italian at Macaulay Brooklyn College. You can call me Willie G, for short. I collect comic books and non-sport trading cards in my spare time. I truly am what most would consider a gigantic nerd. I am also somewhat of a film aficionado and enjoy watching all kinds of movies - especially my two favorite movies My Cousin Vinny (1992) and Superman: The Movie (1978), each of which I have seen over 50 times. I also spend a lot of time watching all different kinds of TV shows, my favorite of which is George Reeves' The Adventures of Superman. If anyone has seen The Big Bang Theory, I would consider myself the real life, Roman Catholic version of Howard Wolowitz. My favorite time of year is Christmastime, because it's just awesome - it's cold, cheerful, and just a happy time. As opposed to the rest of the year where it's not too cheerful and actually pretty miserable. I live my life based on Cee Lo Green's masterpiece, "Fu Forget You." Well, there's nothing more to say about me, so let me leave you with the words of John McClane: "Yippee Ki-Yay Mothe...!"