Liberal Arts Reading Questions 4/24 – Will Lorenzo

1. Consider a scenario where a person gets a vocational education, with no liberal arts components whatsoever. She gets a job, then gets fired and can’t get work. Given a scenario like this, which probably happens a lot, can this be seen as the major reason for a liberal arts education? Should the liberal arts be seen as the foundation for a specific area of study?

2. In that parents’ survey, nearly 40% state that the most important reason for a child to go to college is to get a good job. Is this feeling (which will only grow over time) be the reason for the demise of the liberal arts education or do other factors come into play?

3. In the parents’ survey, about 45% strongly agree that vocational school is the pathway to a good job, about 32% strongly agree that not going to college is the pathway to a good job, and about 28% strongly agree that a liberal arts college is the pathway to a good job. Why does the liberal arts come in last place, even after ‘not going to college at all’? Has the reputation of a liberal arts college diminished that much already?

4. Since many employers are looking for candidates with a well-rounded education, where she can read, write, solve problems, and have many other capabilities, can the liberal arts college be seen as a road to this kind of candidate? A liberal arts university is really the only type of institution of higher education that can grant these capabilities to its students. With these notions of a good potential candidate, why is the liberal arts college still diminishing?

5. In the “Death of Liberal Arts” article, it is stated that “the number of liberal arts colleges dwindled from 212 in 1990 to 136 in 2009.” At this rate, there will soon be only a handful of liberal arts colleges in America. What can these colleges do in order to attract more applicants and keep their doors open?

6. Consider a scenario where a student graduates with a degree in the liberal arts. She later decides that she wants to pursue a career which needs a lot of technical know-how, a career where she would have needed to take many an appropriate class while in college. In this case, can the liberal arts be seen as an obstacle to her success? For a person like this, what are the benefits of the liberal arts?

This entry was posted in Reading Questions, Uncategorized on by .

About Will Lorenzo

My name is Will Lorenzo, and I'm a Pure Mathematics and Film Studies double major with a minor in Italian at Macaulay Brooklyn College. You can call me Willie G, for short. I collect comic books and non-sport trading cards in my spare time. I truly am what most would consider a gigantic nerd. I am also somewhat of a film aficionado and enjoy watching all kinds of movies - especially my two favorite movies My Cousin Vinny (1992) and Superman: The Movie (1978), each of which I have seen over 50 times. I also spend a lot of time watching all different kinds of TV shows, my favorite of which is George Reeves' The Adventures of Superman. If anyone has seen The Big Bang Theory, I would consider myself the real life, Roman Catholic version of Howard Wolowitz. My favorite time of year is Christmastime, because it's just awesome - it's cold, cheerful, and just a happy time. As opposed to the rest of the year where it's not too cheerful and actually pretty miserable. I live my life based on Cee Lo Green's masterpiece, "Fu Forget You." Well, there's nothing more to say about me, so let me leave you with the words of John McClane: "Yippee Ki-Yay Mothe...!"