Theater Day- Jonathan Safran Foer reading

What one person views as garbage, another can view as art. Art is subjective and means different things, to different people. I remember walking along an alleyway one day with my father, as he pointed out the graffiti on the wall. My initial reaction was something of disgust, but my dad, who had a different view of artwork than me, remarked on the ingenious of the lines and colors.

This memory ran through my mind as I heard Jonathan Safran Foer speak on the last day of orientation. His view of art was, as expected, unique and individual. He believed that different forms of art are just means through which artists express messages or values. It does not matter so much the form of art, as long as it conveys what it should to the viewer. In this way, Jonathan Safran Foer’s view on artwork blurs the boundaries of what is differentiated styles of art. He believes that art is anything a person has intended to make as art. This could explain why he incorporated so many images into his novel Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close.

Personally, I don’t see art in the same light as Jonathan Safran Foer. If art is just anything intended to be artwork, then what makes my scribble on the back of my math notebook any different that Pablo Picasso’s La Guernica? I doubt very much have my artwork has the same effect as his. To me, art is something powerful that is separate from other types of art. For example, a meaningful book is not the same as a inspiring song. Although their messages may be similar, a book and a song will not convey the same idea in the same way. They are two totally separate mediums and although the end result may provoke the same feelings, the way in which these emotions are brought upon do define different styles of art.

Overall, I really did enjoy the experience of listening to of one of the most inspiring writers to me. Although I did not share his views exactly, I was able to listen to him and see his perspective. I admired Jonathan Safran Foer’s creativity and individuality, as well as his sarcastic sense of humor. He reminded me to appreciate the little things in the world around me that I often take for granted, or am just oblivious to. He inspired me to try new things out, and to feel comfortable not knowing where I want to be in the future. He may not have been so helpful when it came to advice about how to survive college, but when it came to advice about living life and knowing who you are, he seemed to know what he was talking about.

This entry was posted in 01.Theater Day, Blog. Bookmark the permalink.