A Night to Remember

The Exhibit was a great experience because I was exposed to art in a setting that I am not familiar with. Usually, people gather around an art piece, discuss it, and criticize it. There was not one person that I saw actually pay attention to the sculptures. Also, it’s a night to remember because I do not find myself in the company of pretentious and rich people. It was the first time and hopefully the last.

The exhibit took place on the roof of the museum, which I didn’t understand because people were more interested in the scene than the exhibit. When I first got out of the elevators and entered the exhibit, I was confused because I did not see any sculptures and thought we were in the wrong place. Rather, I was more drawn to the numerous people with drinks in their hand, socializing and having a good time. While walking around a sculpture to get an idea of what it was, Aisha and I saw a cup stain. People were using the sculpture to rest their drinks; that really goes to show how rude some of the people at the exhibit were.  As pretentious as the people were, I expected them to be a little more mindful of the sculptures, but I guess not.

I did not see any one person appreciate Caro’s artwork, including myself. I took notes and pictures because I thought they might help for the assignment. The only people paying attention to the sculptures were those in our class. A lady working at the exhibit saw Aisha and I taking notes and she told us there are plaques with more information about each sculpture situated around the roof. The more information I have about a sculpture, the better I understand it. So, Aisha and I decided to walk around and take pictures of the plaques. We had to kneel down and look for the plaques because people were standing in front of them; we had to excuse ourselves every time.  Even though I saw and read all the plaques, I was still unable to understand the sculptures. Unfortunately, I wasn’t intrigued at all by them.

I absolutely love sunrises and sunsets. I was naturally drawn to the beautiful skyline. I took a few pictures before I had to rush home. When I got home, I remembered the scenery, and not the sculptures.  

This entry was posted in 02.Anthony Caro, Blog. Bookmark the permalink.