There was an Art Exhibit?

Entering the Metropolitan Museum of Art, I was expecting to see art… and that is exactly what I received! I viewed sculptures, paintings, ancient architecture, and much more. The inner part of the museum was phenomenal to say the least, and set my expectations quite high for the Anthony Caro exhibit as I took the elevator to the roof of the museum. As I exited the elevator, I was in shock. I literally thought there was a live, interactive acting scene where everyone was supposed to be playing a pompous, wealthy individual. Being a fan of the dramatic arts I couldn’t wait to join the party, but then I read the sign by the front door. Apparently, the invisible, giant metal structures were the actual art in the exhibit. Now I was confused. There was no way the Metropolitan Museum of Art would hold a nightclub on its roof overlooking central park. Unfortunately I was mistaken, and sadly disappointed.

Anthony Caro, I’m sorry to say that your art is being used as giant coasters for outrageously priced alcoholic beverages. I guarantee you that art enthusiasts take an interest in your work if it has the privilege of being put in the Metropolitan Museum of Art, or at least on top of it, but I personally don’t see the appeal. I examined a sculpture for a couple of minutes searching for an energy, emotion, idea, message, anything, but all I found was a bunch of scrap metal welded together and then painted over with a single solid color. I’m not going to say your work is not art because it is an expression of human creativity, but I will say that your sculptures may have had a little trouble speaking for themselves. In retrospect, it might have not been your art at all; instead it could have been that I couldn’t hear your art speak over all the gossiping and haughty conversation going on around me.

Now the people on the rooftop of the Metropolitan Museum of Art, they were quite a work of art. Never in my life have I seen so many wealthy, obnoxious individuals in one place. I’m not going to lie; I didn’t actually know how rich they were until I saw the price of the alcohol. $8.00 for a beer and $14.00 for a martini! I hope they didn’t have to pay extra for the olive. Now I’m not one to judge people just because they are rich, but when someone has built this idea in their head that they are better than someone else because of the wealth they have had since they were born, all bets are off. Everyone there was drinking, talking, partying, and completely disregarding the art exhibit. I think the only ones who actually acknowledged Caro’s work, were the ones who needed a place to sit their drink on something. Not only was the artwork invisible, but apparently I was too! My friend and I were having a conversation literally in front of the people we were criticizing for their outrageous behavior and we might as well have been ghosts. I felt completely invisible to everyone except for my own classmates, oh and I almost forgot about the security guards.

After that I day on the rooftop, I truly started to believe that money does get you everything, and those without it, simply don’t. Anyone with a drink could use the art however they pleased whether it was a picnic table, a chair, or something to lean on. On the other hand, if one of my fellow classmates was so ever to lay one finger on a sculpture, security was all over them advising them to stay away from the so-called “precious” artwork. Now rich people I can deal with, being invisible sure, but discrimination is where I draw the line! So I decided to be a bit rebellious and take matters into my own hands. Enjoy!

This entry was posted in 02.Anthony Caro, Blog. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to There was an Art Exhibit?

1. Alyssa says:

Love your pictures, i wonder where they came from!