The Opera is a MUST for the New York Upper Crust

"I am an opera singer!"

Figaro, Figaro, Figarooooooooo!”

Mozart’s “The Marriage of Figaro” is probably one of the most known operas in the world. I think we are all somewhat familiar with the storyline and a few of the songs. And why shouldn’t we be? Hasn’t “The Marriage of Figaro” been parodied by a number of our childhood cartoons, like Arthur and Hey Arnold?

But why do people go to the opera? Why do they purchase expensive tickets to watch a musical in a language most of them probably don’t understand?  Is it to just enjoy the visual and sensory art? Or is it to be seen?

The opera is an image that I’ve always connected to the upper class of New York. I’ve always thought the purpose of the opera (besides providing entertainment, of course) was to gather together people of high society. They had to establish who had the most money. Intermission, I imagined must be the preferred part of the spectacle. Because it is then, during the break, that they are able to converse and compare and compete.

“We’ve just gotten back form Milan, dahhling.”

“Well, how did they manage to attain those seats?”

“My goodness, look at her gown, it is simply dee-vine!”

I can visualize them now, dressed up in their fancy suits and gowns, wearing the very best in jewelry, and sipping ridiculously expensive champagne. But such must be the life a New York socialite. What else would they do with their time?

And I have to wonder how much of them really enjoy what is happening before them onstage. Do they find the opera genuinely interesting? – Because of course, the Upper Crust of New York must be extremely cultured and fond of all the classic arts – Or do they find the whole idea of the opera mandatory? They sit through it because it is simply what people of their status do.

I think I’ve always associated the opera to wealthy New Yorkers because the idea of me, a regular girl from a regular middle class family in Queens, attending such a performance has never really fit in my head. People of status attend operas, people of wealth. I’ve always stuck to school plays and off-off Broadway productions. But apparently for this class we’re supposed to see “Don Giovanni” at the Metropolitan Opera House. I’m nervous, I don’t think I’m going to have a gown “dee-vine” enough for the setting. Oh well.

This entry was posted in 04.Uptown, Blog. Bookmark the permalink.