Uptown vs My town

I remember dreaming of being rich and having a big house with maids and butlers to wait on my every need when I was younger. Oh yes, and a personal chef would be nice too. However, as I got older, I’ve realized that although on a worldwide scale, I’m living in the richest country, on a more local level….not so much.

While I was once bothered by not living in the glamorized New York that is often  in film and literature, I’ve come to terms with my current location. That’s not to say that the beauty of Manhattan is not accessible, in fact, the trip there takes no time at all. However, the difference is one glamorous train ride away, in contrast to a step out of a fancy apartment complex on Central Park West.

Central Park is one of the first things that makes me think of a “wealthy” New York. Preferably at night, and preferably in a horse drawn carriage. In this aspect, the rooftop view from the Anthony Caro exhibit is the perfect example. The lighting, the height, the scenery. Not to mention the plethora of pretentious individuals drinking their fancy martinis. It was a scene that could have easily taken place in a film about upscale New Yorkers.

However, I’ve come to decide Central Park might not be the safest place at night. Maybe I’ve watched too many movies, but I’ve heard far too mugging stories for the glory of Central Park to prevail after dark. In addition, I’ve come to decide  that horse drawn carriages are not only inhumane, but smelly. Alas, arises the dilemma of selecting my ideal image of  “Uptown/wealthy New York.”

After watching Woody Allen’s “Manhattan,” a scene that has prevailed with me is the infamous image of Diane Keaton and Allen under the Brooklyn. Although I’ve walked the Brooklyn Bridge, I’ve never been to the exact location of the scene (mainly because I couldn’t find it). Perhaps I’ve linked it’s unattainable prestige with its unattainable location. Nonetheless, this image of the Manhattan skyline from just outside this city is an image that captures the splendor of this city. The city has a particular allure to it after sunset, with the buildings illuminated and the moon shining bright. From afar, the city seems so tranquil, and yet full of life at the same time.

The view from the bridge creates the illusion that when one enters Manhattan, they are entering a new world. A world isolated by this moat that we call the East River. A world full of magic. A world full of opportunity, and of people rushing through life, trying to seize that opportunity.

Yes, my image of wealthy Manhattan is one of many ideologies. But maybe that’s because in the back of my mind I’m still dreaming of maids, butlers and a life of privilege. Nevertheless, I shall enjoy the splendor of my city, regardless of my current location. After all, you don’t need to live in the Upper East Side to be a true New Yorker.

This entry was posted in 04.Uptown, Blog. Bookmark the permalink.