Societal Dilemma in a Comedic Disguise

It was a rainy weekday, and I walked into the Rattlesnake Theatre knowing that a mundane and unexceptional play awaited me. I wanted to quickly jot down some important theatrical strategies, figure out the play’s message and rush out. Surprisingly however, Asuncíon consisted of that every element that held me back and forced me to stay. Engraved within the play was not only sidesplitting comedy, but a powerful message as well. Perhaps the reason Asuncíon was so impressive was because it managed brighten the mood and fill the room with laughter. The storyline gave the audience something to relate to as well. Unlike Bald Soprano, where senseless blabber is in fashion, or Intrigulis, where an undocumented immigrant’s sorrow is the topic of discussion, Asuncíon threw out a couple of casual characters who experienced the very contagious, racist preconceived notions that we all are guilty of.

Before the play even started, I began taking note of the stage and its accessories. I wondered how exactly each of the rooms and space would be used. I glanced over the dirty dishes, messy books, and random posters. I was quickly able to catch the normality of this house, for messy and dirty isn’t an uncommon trait in a house of men. Once the play was started, I worked to scrutinize the acting, dialogue, and costumes of the characters. I just felt obliged to notice these things because I knew Professor Healey would be noticing it. Despite standing inexperienced in the field of acting, I must say Jesse Eisenberg and Justin Bartha were equally brilliant in their acting. Edgar’s facial expressions were crystal clear in portraying his weak character, desperate to gain Vinny’s acceptance and approval. Edgar’s frantic acting and dialogue compelled every audience member to painfully pity him. Vinny’s insensitivity and ridicule towards Edgar, and sexual interest in Asuncíon were visible in his dialogue as well as facial and bodily expressions. He was just that average man doing his thing in life, disregarding petty issues, unlike the very anxious Edgar who’s couldn’t help but try to concentrate and be perfect for Vinny all the time. In my opinion, the outfits of the characters were quite fit for their roles as well. Edgar’s older brother looked and dressed differently in reflection of his successful and wealthy career. Vinny dressed very casual, although his beaded necklace could’ve been put away. Edgar wore loose sweats and tees, and his body was pretty much lost in his clothes. This gave him a very scrawny and childish look, which worked for his child-like character. Asuncíon dressed according to her character as well, as she wore short dresses and night suits that not only attracted Vinny but possibly increased Edgar’s suspicion that she was a sex slave, as well.  The dialogue of the play left the audience loud and laughing most of the time. At times I couldn’t understand what a character would be saying because the audience was still busy laughing, and I don’t blame them for that. I impatiently awaited the next joke, and constantly reminded myself how amusing and interesting this play was. It terms of comedy, Eisenberg did an outstanding job as a playwright as well as actor. Asuncíon was definitely effective in attracting the attention of audience and making them laugh.

In terms of labeling this play effective in getting its point across, I’m not quite sure how high of a ranking I can offer. Sure, it was a great idea to use comedy to convey the illness of racism that hurts our society today, but I’m not too positive in believing that the audience left the theater deeply touched by the guilt of every day racism that they indulge in. The play definitely touched the idea of false racist assumptions that we make everyday. Edgar was after all, an innocent and naïve guy and for him to make the assumption that Asuncíon was a sex slave, was pretty shocking and alarming. It only came to show that even the most harmless of people unintentionally throw people into racial stereotypes and commit hurtful acts of racism. This important message however, was however too covered by the comedic elements of the play. In the entirety of the play, the audience ended up laughing at everything including the misunderstanding of Asuncíon as a sex slave, by Edgar. The case of preconceived racial notions is too serious of a dilemma in society, and the play’s comedy seemed to take this societal dilemma too lightly. Perhaps today’s audience is too ignorant of these issues, and their attention can only be captured by presenting them with other sorts of entertainment such as comedy. Whatever the reason may be, despite being a very successful and funny play (one that I would love to go see again), it fell short on powerfully electrocuting its audience members, and making them aware of as well as prohibiting them from being racist and stereotypical.

This entry was posted in 07.Asuncíon, Blog. Bookmark the permalink.